Monday, May 28, 2012

Some thoughts on General Conference

I know this is almost 2 months later, but I had a great experience I realized I never shared.
The Friday before General Conference I had a horrible day.  It felt like everything went wrong and nothing I did was right.  I was struggling with the infertility blues on top of it all and had a melt down.  I remember balling my eyes out and telling Heavenly Father that I needed some help.  And that I needed it from General Conference.
Looking back, it was a "Hannah" moment for me. 
"So Hannah rose up after they had eaten in Shiloh, and after they had drunk. Now Eli the priest sat upon a seat by a post of the temple of the Lord.
And she was in bitterness of soul, and prayed unto the Lord, and wept sore.
 And she vowed a vow, and said, O Lord of hosts, if thou wilt indeed look on the affliction of thine handmaid, and remember me, and not forget thine handmaid, but wilt give unto thine handmaid a man child, then I will give him unto the Lord all the days of his life, and there shall no razor come upon his head."  (Here's the link if you want more of her story)
So the next morning we were watching Conference at home and EVERY talk that morning was for me.  I'm sure they were for other people too, but it was like Heavenly Father was just saying: "Here, you wanted it." 
Conference is always wonderful, but I really felt the hand of my Heavenly Father.  He is real.  He knows me and loves me.
I was reminded of this wonderful experience in our Relief Society lesson yesterday.  Nancy gave a great lesson on And a Little Child Shall Lead Them By President Boyd K. Packer.  I absolutely LOVED this part:
"Another young couple tearfully told me they had just come from a doctor where they were told they would be unable to have children of their own. They were brokenhearted with the news. They were surprised when I told them that they were actually quite fortunate. They wondered why I would say such a thing. I told them their state was infinitely better than that of other couples who were capable of being parents but who rejected and selfishly avoided that responsibility.

I told them, “At least you want children, and that desire will weigh heavily in your favor in your earthly lives and beyond because it will provide spiritual and emotional stability. Ultimately, you will be much better off because you wanted children and could not have them, as compared to those who could but would not have children.”
Still others remain unmarried and therefore childless. Some, due to circumstances beyond their control, are raising children as single mothers or single fathers. These are temporary states. In the eternal scheme of things—not always in mortality—righteous yearning and longing will be fulfilled."

Here are some more of my favorite parts: (Thanks to "...and Spiritually Thinking" for the formatting)


And my other favorite quote (because it applies to us so much this week) from Sacrifice By Elder Dallin H. Oaks:
"I also see unselfish Latter-day Saints adopting children, including those with special needs, and seeking to provide foster children the hope and opportunities denied them by earlier circumstances. I see you caring for family members and neighbors who suffer from birth defects, mental and physical ailments, and the effects of advancing years. The Lord sees you also, and He has caused His prophets to declare that “as you sacrifice for each other and your children, the Lord will bless you.”"
I LOVED General Conference!  I love that we have a Heavenly Father who knows and answers our prayers and answers MY prayers.  I love having a prophet of God on the earth!  We are so blessed!

2 comments:

The Jensens said...

I want to say never fear (Brooklyn is here....hehehe)! You guys will be awesome foster parents and I'm excited and anxious for you :-) I'm sure one is easier than 3 (plus the age makes a difference too).

Love you and love Hannah moments!!

LOVE YOU!! *Hugs*

barbara said...

Thanks for your testimony. I love you.