Sunday, March 18, 2012

An Injury and a Shopping Trip

On Monday night I was busy making dinner and forgot the burner was hot (I had turned it off, but it wasn't cooled down yet).  When mom said "don't touch the hot stove," she meant it!  I pulled my hand away and stuck it under cold water.  Phillip called our local pediatrician to make sure we were remembering our first aid training correctly.  It was still warm so I put my hand in a bowl of water while I ate the dinner Phillip helped me finish.  An hour later, the pain was still too much to bare and we headed to the emergency room.  This is right before we left:
Another hour later I was medicated (Naprosyn and Percocet) with some nice burn cream and bandaged like Micky Mouse:
Needless to say, going to interpret in sign language the next day did not happen.  Phillip has been a gem, helping me and being ever patient with my requests for "pretty" bandaged fingers (which is not what they did at the ER as evidenced in the above picture).  I don't know what I would have done without him.  A sister from the ward brought dinner Tuesday night and we have had many appreciated calls and visits.  Thank you one and all!  I made it back to work on Wednesday, med free.  The meds make me nauseous and I can stomach the pain.
Last night, after a wonderful evening of stake conference, Phillip and I headed back for a shopping trip to Safeway.  Saturday night shopping trips have become the norm for us - it gives us time to search for coupons and deals throughout the day.  Here is our stash:
The total started at $189.89 after tax and we walked out paying $77.18!  That's a 59% reduction.  Here's how we did it:
  • 10 boxes of pasta (Pasta Roni) regular price: $1.60 each
    (total) club savings: $1.76, store coupons $3.60, manufacturer coupon $1
    Final price: $7.90 or $0.79 each
  • 2 boxes granola bars (Fiber One) regular price: $3.29 each
    club savings: $1.60, manufacturer coupon $0.50
    Final price: $4.48 or $2.24 each
  • 3 bags chips (Doritos) regular price: $4.29 each
    club savings: $3.78, store coupons $3.93
    Final price: $5.07 or $1.69 each
  • 1 box cereal (Peanut Butter Crunch) regular price: $4.49 each
    club savings: $2.61
    Final price: $1.88
  • 3 packages cookies (Keebler) regular price: $4.19 each
    club savings: $3.33, manufacturer coupon $1
    Final price: $4.91 or $1.636 each
  • 2 bottles juice (Ocean Spray) regular price: $3.49 each
    club savings: $3.40
    Final price: $3.58 or $1.79 each
  • 2 boxes cereal (Frosted Flakes) regular price: $4.49 each
    club savings: $5.00
    Final price: $3.98 or $1.99 each
  • 4 cans soup (Progresso) regular price: $2.59 each
    club savings: $2.40, manufacturer coupon $1
    Final price: $6.96 or $1.74 each
  • Cookies (Chips Ahoy) regular price: $4.19
    club savings: $1.69
    Final price: $2.50 each
  • Cookies (Oreo snack packages) regular price: $6.99
    club savings: $3.00
    Final price: $3.99
  • 2 cans refried beans (Rosarita) regular price: $1.29 each
    club savings: $1
    Final price: $1.58 or $0.79 each
  • 3 - 12 packs of soda (Coca Cola) regular price: $6.99 each
    club savings: $11.79
    Final price: $9 or $3 each
  • Tortillas (Mission) regular price: $3.29
    club savings: $0.70, store coupon: $1.10
    Final price: $1.49
  • 2 bottles soda (Dr. Pepper) regular price: $1.69 each
    manufacturer coupon: $1.10
    Final price: $2.28 or 1.14 each
  • Toilet paper (Cottonelle) regular price: $8.99
    club savings: $2.50, manufacturer coupon: $1.50
    Final price: $4.99We searched the store for this toilet paper (our bums are spoiled and this was a great price) but they had nothing out. We were the annoying people who held up the line while the bagger searched high and low for us. She found some in the back for us.  This was of course after the cashier (Tony - our Saturday night Safeway friend) left the register to go look for himself as well for us.
  • 2 boxes Kleenex regular price: $2.19
    club savings: $1.38, store coupon $1.02
    Final price: $1.98 or $0.99 each
  • Cheese (Lucerne) regular price: $2.99
    club savings: $1
    Final price: $1.99
  • Waffles (Safeway) regular price: $2.69
    club savings: $0.19, store coupon: $0.51
    Final price: $1.99
  • 8 boxes Lean/Pizza Pockets regular price: $2.69 each
    club savings: $1.40, store coupon: $4.80, manufacturer coupon: $1.40
    Final price: $13.72 or $1.715 each
  • 3 Pizzas (Red Baron) regular price: $3.99
    club savings: $4.47, store coupon: $1.53
    Final price: $5.97 or $1.99 each
  • Toilet cleaner (Lysol) regular price: $2.99
    club savings $0.99
    Final price: $2.00
  • Toothpaste (Crest) regular price: $3.99
    club savings: $1.50, store coupon $0.50
    Final price: $1.99
  • Cleanser (Comet) regular price: $1.29
    club savings: $0.29
    Final Price $1
  • Flowers regular price $2.99
    club savings $0.99
    Final Price $2
  • Cake $2.59This was the only item we paid full price for.  After all Phillip has done for me, he more than deserved this!  He fought me on this item, but I put it in the cart and made him pay for it - I am so mean when it comes to spending his money on him :)
I had loaded most of the store coupons onto the card before we went to the store.  The checker wanted me to ring my card through right away but I refused.  It's much more exciting to see all of the savings at once.  In all honesty, I want to be a secret Extreme Couponer (getting things for free), but since that may not happen out here on the reservations, this may be the closest I get in quite some time.
I had gone onto each of the manufacturer's websites and ended up with a few more coupons that way, as well as going to redplum.com, smartsource.com, coupons.com and checking my paper coupons (thank you moms Browning and Iverson!)
We then used a $25 gift card we had purchased previously.  When we purchased the gift card it gave us 4x the gas points so that saved us an additional $0.10/gallon on gas.
Some of you may think I am weird constantly blogging about the food we buy, but I walk out of the store feeling a huge rush thinking of how much I saved...and of how our stockpile has grown.

2 comments:

Nancy Seljestad said...

You are quite amazing with your savings and building your storage! You go girl!
DREADFUL on your fingers!!!
Nancy

Edilene Jardim said...

Burn your fingers is normal! Much has already burned, including my ankle, but has a great cream that helps fight the pain, it is called: Silver Sulfadiazine. It is wonderful, see if you find there!
I want improvement!