Sunday, April 08, 2012

Rainbow Jello

Our family has this recipe for "Rainbow Jello."  I think one of my cousin's spouses brought the recipe to the family.  I have never made it...though I have enjoyed eating it many times.  Recently a brother in our ward passed away and a request went out for Jello salads and I decided it was time for me to try it out. 
Warning: this takes a lot of patience, only because of the time it takes to set.
Ingredients:
6 boxes Jello (green, yellow, orange, red, purple (we couldn't find purple and used blackberry instead) and blue)
Water (hot and cold)
3 cups sour cream and 1 container Cool Whip.

Boil 1 Cup water and mix with one package of Jello. (I started with the green)
Remove 1/2 Cup + 1 Tbs. of the mixed Jello and set aside.
Add 2 Tbs. cold water to remaining Jello, mix thoroughly and pour into a 9x13 inch pan. Let sit for 30 min. or until set.
To the jello you pulled out, add 1/3 Cup sour cream.
Mix thoroughly (removing lumps)
and let sit on counter until first layer has set (not in refrigerator). Once first layer has set add sour cream layer to pan and refrigerate until set.
Repeat with all colors/layers.
(This is the yellow, it was hard to see before it set)
Once finished, allow 2-3 hours refrigeration
The blackberry didn't turn out very purple, so if you can find it grape is best.
Then, every rainbow needs a fluffy cloud.  Add the whipped topping.

1 comment:

Dee said...

I've never heard of rainbow jello. I like the idea and it looks like a fun dish to make. I'll have to try it.